Frequently Asked Questions

Can Rolfing help me?
Rolfing before and after

That depends on what you are looking for. Rolfing aligns the body, so if you need help with your posture or if you are seeking a holistic overhaul, Rolfing is absolutely the best modality. The benefits of Rolfing can improve your quality of life.

If you are looking for help with chronic pain or injuries, Rolfing can help. Some examples of problems that Rolfing can help: backache, sciatica, SI joint pain, scoliosis, pelvic asymmetry, headache, stiff neck, jaw pain, shoulder pain, whiplash, repetitive strain injury, insomnia, knee pain, foot pain, and many others.

I'd be happy to discuss your concerns and give my opinion about whether Rolfing is right for you. If some other form of therapy would be a better fit for your situation, I will refer you to a skilled practitioner.

How much does it cost?
Each Rolfing session is $165.  $5 discount for cash or check at time-of-service. All card types are accepted, including Health Savings Account cards. See "First Visit" for more information about sessions.

Sessions for children under age 10 are $100, with sliding scale available based on financial need. Children's sessions are typically about 30-60 minutes, depending on the age and the individual child.  

I also offer manual therapy for accident recovery, at $50 per 15 minute unit. If you have an Motor Vehicle Accident claim, I will bill your auto insurance and they will generally pay at the standard rate set by that industry and the state of Oregon. Please see below for more information about MVA claims. 

An affordable way to learn some of this information is to attend a class. The cost is $20 (in advance). Short classes on topics such as healthy footwear, posture, and sitting, and most are 90 minutes.  The class called Learn About Your Nervous System is a 2 hour class.

Where is the Rolfing office located?

2732 SE 18th, between Clinton and Taggart Streets.  It's several blocks north of Powell Boulevard (and therefore convenient to I-5), and a couple blocks south of Division Street.  Please note that railroad tracks make this neighborhood a bit complicated. For detailed directions and a photo, please see the Contact page

When can I get my first session?

Appointments are typically weekdays 9 AM, 10:30 AM, 1 PM, 2:30 PM, and 4 PM. I'm not currently offering evening or weekend appointments, but please contact me for a referral if needed. Sessions are about 60 minutes in length; please allow 90 minutes in your schedule in case we need the extra time, especially for your first visit. I offer a free 20-minute consultation by phonen or in my office if you choose.  If you have a printer, please print and fill out the intake form.  I sometimes have appointments within a few days if your schedule is flexible, or within a couple weeks if you need a specific time such as the popular 4 PM spot.

Schedule Now!
Service:Rolfing Session change
Date/time:Choose one of the openings below. (PST)
PreviousSun Jan 25Mon Jan 26Tue Jan 27Wed Jan 28Thu Jan 29Fri Jan 30Sat Jan 31Next
9:00 AM11:30 AM12:00 PM1:00 PM

Is Rolfing painful?

Sometimes, but it doesn't have to be. If you generally like bodywork, you will probably enjoy most of the work that we do. There may be some moments of intense sensation in places of injury or longterm strain. Sometimes simply working more slowly will help make it more comfortable. Gently calming inflamed nerves first is another great strategy for dealing with tender areas. We get the best results when the sensations remain at an intensity level where you can relax and breathe normally.  

How can I learn more about improving my posture?

Check out the Short Movement Classes which are open to the public regardless of whether or not you have had the Rolfing series.  Also there are several good books on this subject on the Links page.

Can you help me heal after a car accident?

Yes, we can address whiplash, pain, and misalignment that results from a Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA). This injury-specific work is considered "manual therapy" in contrast to classic, holistic Rolfing. In the process of helping you heal from your MVA injuries, you will also likely experience some holistic improvement. Theoretically, treatement is warranted until your health is at a similar level as prior to the accident; this means you should be able to dance, hike, drive, work, and do other activities.

Within a year following your accident, your PIP claim (Personal Injury Protection) with your own insurance company will generally pay for your treatment. But in reality, claims pay more readily  in the first few months after your accident and after that, it varies based on your claim and your MVA insurance company. 

If you have a MVA claim, my work is typically completely covered. In the state of Oregon, you may not need a prescription to get started with me - ask your MVA insurance company. If required, you can get a prescription from any type of physican: medical doctor, osteopath, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant, naturopath, chiropractor, or in some cases even an acupuncturist. I can give you a referral to a holistic practitioner who can provide the prescription for my work. I will bill your insurance company directly, so please provide your claim number, agent name, and their phone number.  

If you were a pedestrian or a bicyclist and you were hit by a car (or a car door), you can file a claim with their insurance. Even though you weren't driving, if you are on a car insurance policy, your PIP (personal injury protection) will pay for your care immediately and the other insurance company will pay them back later. 

Most car insurance companies are very helpful regarding these claims. Usually you don't need a lawyer, but if you do, I can refer you to a lawyer who is familiar with motor vehicle claims.